Kernow Men’s Society Constitution
A – NAME:-
The group’s name is Kernow Men’s Society.
B – THE PURPOSES OF THE SOCIETY ARE :-
– To provide an assortment of regular meetings and activities to engage, motivate and encourage men to take part in a range of social and educational activities in order to help improve their well-being and to combat social isolation.
– To provide a safe environment for men in order to engage in wide ranging conversation with fellow members in a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere.
C – CARRYING OUT THE PURPOSES:-
In order to carry out the purposes, the Committee has the power to : –
– Raise funds and receive grants and donations.
– Buy or sell property, take on leases and employ staff.
– Co-operate with and support other groups with similar purposes.
– Do anything else within the law which is necessary to achieve the purposes.
D – MEMBERSHIP:-
The Committee may expel someone from membership, provided it is in the best interest of the society to do so, and they are given the right to be heard by the Committee before the decision is made. They can be accompanied by a friend.
E – ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING – AGM:-
– The AGM must be held every year, with 14 days’ notice given to all members telling them what is on the agenda.
– There must be at least 1/3 members present at the AGM.
– The Committee shall present the annual report and accounts.
– Any member may put themselves forward for election as a Committee member at the AGM.
– Every member has one vote.
– Members shall elect between 3 and 10 members to the Committee. They will retire at the next AGM and may stand for re-election.
F – COMMITTEE:-
– The Committee shall hold at least 3 meetings each year. They will elect a chair, treasurer and secretary at their first meeting.
– At least 3 Committee members must be at a committee meeting to be able to take decisions. Minutes shall be kept for every meeting.
– The Committee must keep accounts which may be viewed by any member on request.
– During the year, the Committee may appoint up to 2 extra members on to the Committee who will stand down at the next AGM but are eligible for re-election.
– The Committee may make reasonable additional rules for the proper conduct and management of the society. These rules must not conflict with this constitution or the law.
G – MONEY:-
– Funds must be held in the society’s bank account.
– All cheques must be signed by 2 Committee members.
– Funds cannot be used to pay Committee members except to refund legitimate expenses.
– Funds and property must only be used for the purposes of the society.
H – SPECIAL GENERAL MEETINGS:-
Special General Meetings may be called by the Committee for the following reasons and all members must be given 14 days notice and told what change is proposed:-
– Changing the Constitution – The constitution may be changed by a two thirds majority of members present and voting at a Special General Meeting.
– Emergency Special General Meetings – to allow the members to decide on important issues.
– Winding up – the society may be wound up by a two thirds majority of members present and voting at a Special General Meeting. Any money or property remaining after payment of debts must be given to a group/society/association with similar (charitable) purposes.
J – SETTING UP THE GROUP:-
This constitution was adopted on August 13th 2018.
The below named members constitute the Committee until the first AGM which must be held within one year of this date ie on or before August 12th 2019.
Name and Position:-